I thought I would do something new here. Step by step, my thoughts and decisions. This seems like a fairly simple model to start with.
The messy pumpkin innards are eventually going to be a highlight of yellow. So I am starting out with the closest color I believe I have to the inside of a pumpkin with Saffron Sunset.
This color surprised me at how well it worked for a pumpkin color, Highlight orange.
Here I had a choice. More orange on top of orange or a brown for the shade. I went with the Sepia wash, because I need shadows and it just seemed right that the pumpkins should be a little dirty looking. Going full dark brown shade I believe would have been too overpowering.
Went with driftwood brown for the handle only because I hardly ever use it. Most browns would have worked just fine. Those of you with good eyes probably noticed that I finally got that one little pumpkin painted.
The darker brown Earthshade wash for the handle
I may misspoken when I said this appeared to be a fairly simple model. Those vines took me 4 hours to complete the pine green base color. I don't normally time myself, but I did four, one hour sessions.
I was moving as fast as I could, but also had to be careful with the pumpkins. In addition there were a lot of crevasses to smush the brush into which didn't help and just so many vines twisting and turning. Part of the 4 hours was going back and doing orange touch ups.
A careful dark green wash for the vine shadows.
I could have probably started a little lighter that this combination, but it was a good start to highlighting the vines.
And stopping here with the yellow/green mix.
Went with the sepia liner for lining the more shadowy areas. Brown would have been fine too, but I don't think I ever used the sepia liner and wanted to see what it looked like.
Highlight orange and marigold yellow for the pumpkin shell highlights.
Golden brown and white highlights for the mossy fungus like stuff on the pumpkins.
Saffron Sunset and what I think is sun yellow for the innards.
A gradual mix of all this for the scythe
6 colors mixed for the scythe. My palette of fun. The streaks are me taking off excess paint.
I'm finally getting to some of my personal stash. First Ashoka and now Hoodoo. I love Brom, his art style was a huge influence on me. I played the Dark Age CCG in college when Magic the Gathering got boring. I really enjoyed DA and still have my cards. The art was gorgeous, the game was a blast, showcasing miniature style wargame combat done with cards and dice alone.
This model is those memories come alive for me again. He fits extremely well into my new campaign. A swampy bayou scene will be set. Witches, vampires, voodoo alligator constructs and their creator will eventually set themselves upon the players.
I finally feel like I can do it some painting justice and I can't wait to take the final photo.
Some kind of voodoo , come across this land.
I have another alligator in the gallery, but could not resist taking a pick now.
Have some trimming to do on the shield. I am going to try an spray prime like this, but more one little shift and the shield is ready to snap off the sprue. I believe gluing the shield on first will make this impossible to paint.
Some binge painting. Shield still wet.
Some of the metallics done and pants.
The ground looked good to me as just plain dead in contrast to the very life springing forth from the paladin. I put all sorts of vegetation up to it, but nothing looked as good as what was sitting there in front of me.
I am so happy with the way the white dragon on his shield turned out. I didn't go all the way too bright with my highlighting either, making this look slightly different from my usual turn outs, but I really like it. This is one of those that part of me feels hard in letting go, but I have no use for tieflings as of yet.
I have been putting out models faster than my usual speed, being stuck in the house for the most part lately. So fast I am forgetting to take pics again. Hopefully that will change with this guy.
I don't plan on doing much highlighting with his skin, only a wash after this. Not sure what I will be using him for, maybe one of Baba's creations out in the bayou that the players will have the misfortune to meet. He has been assembled on my shelf for at least a couple of years now.
Working on the base colors, a pewter metal color for the armor.
Armor gets a wash in Nuln oil. Skin gets some discoloration around the areas where the bands go into the skin
Deep Red for the garment he is wearing.
Some orange brown highlights for the bands working on the rock axes. I don't want to drybrush, but unsure of my skill level for making it look like rock and not metal.
This is one of my favorite models I have done. Everything just worked exactly the way I wanted it to. He was one of those that caught my eye very early on like few models have since.