Looks like something from Game of Thrones. Another model that I painted a few years ago and recently touched up. Fixed up just about everything, most noticeably his skin and sword. Re-positioned the antlers too.
Coming along well so far. I have been watching a pro video (Dark Sword Marike ) on how to paint minis and found she does a lot of the same things I do except she spends 20 + hours doing them. She mentioned a way of gluing things using baking soda and superglue. I used that method on this model and like wowzers! it worked really nicely.
Some base coloring with undead skin tone mixed with sun yellow
Blue and swampy green washes. This is a good start, but not sure where the line is between troll and swamp witch. Probably going to highlight her back up to undead skin and glaze in some flesh tones.
Lining and highlighting the skin
Painted base for hair and cloth. Cloth is a burgundy wine color. A very dark purple/red color, but comes off looking dark brown with the old camera.
Swampy or seaweedy, should be good colors for either setting.
bringing out some of the details.
Filled in around the base with some of that all purpose vallejo grit, glossy varnish on the ground to make it look wet and satin varnish on the model itself. Finished!
Picked up an Grenadier Orc Shaman from my childhood. I still think this is a great looking mini, even if I always thought he was holding a dead fish. The club was even bent the same way and very similar colors to what I blobbed on as a kid...makes me think I may have actually purchased the actual one I owned when I was about 8 years old.
The acetone I am using is actually several years old and hoping it hasn't lost it's potency. When I first started painting I was stripping models like crazy, thinking I could do better, never happy with the results. I haven't for a long while now which is really nice. I have a couple of ghasts that I would like to strip, but no rush, will wait for the next bottle.
I used to use a thin olive jar to save on the acetone, but could not find it. No big deal, just going to buy a new bottle next time I need it. I am not expecting him to be paint free, but hoping to pull off some of the old stuff.
24hrs: Well, there are some floating bits, but not as much as I would have liked to see. Discoloration in the liquid too. I am hoping that a toothbrush will loose more up tomorrow. Again, never really expected much from the Testors looking paint that was on there, but wanted to take off anything that could be removed.
CANCELLED, until I can find another model.
After pulling him from the jar and while attempting to brush off paint, I noticed that the jawline of the skull he is holding has been very poorly clipped off by a previous owner. I will have to keep looking for a replacement.
There are a couple of Grenadier and Ral Partha models that I am always on the look out for.
Took way longer than I thought he would and not exactly what I pictured in my head. Still, a nice addition to my other Underdark dudes.
From Paizo's older Gamemastery Instant Encounters line. I wanted to make whatever magical thing he is doing more of "light" looking and not flames. I think it came out about what I was looking for. Not an easy mini, so many hard to reach crevasses, I felt like I was in constant touch up mode. Very cool looking in the end though, glad I painted him.
Every once and a while I have a moment to go back and touch up some of my older figures. These were guys I pretty much started out on. Most are just minor touch ups, but they get a nice new pic from my more modern camera too. The Gorax was mostly some quick highlighting on his loin cloth, ropes and brightened up metals.
The Pureblood Warpwolf was only brightening up the metals.
I don't think I can ever get tired of painting these guys. I sculpted a spider and added for a nice little spell-cast.
Hell Dorado model, 7 parts total and one of the toughest I've had to put together. Models where a part has to perfectly align on both ends and one of those is something that also needed to be glued on...a challenge.
Glue wasn't drying. Attempted to use the loctite precision gel that worked great on the resin stuff, no go with a small metal surface area. Holding while drying was not happening. Went back to my guerrilla glue and putty combo, a bit messy application, even with an attempt to smooth with a file afterwards.
Once I got past my perfectionist attitude, I noticed that he was totally worth it in the end because he is one fantastic looking model. Can't wait to see what he looks like when finished.
The dragon tail, scroll/hand, dragon head/1st half of torso, shoulder fans and left arm. All separate pieces, not on a sprue that I could paint separately. Luckily no super tight spaces to cram a brush into.
Kind of looks like greenstuff, but I am going with a Jade green. Haven't made up my mind on the dragon yet.
Apparently this is the last photo I took before finishing. You can see some of the sculpted putty I used on the smoke to help keep the 2 parts together. I also went ahead and pinned the dragon head/neck. I attempted to pin the hand holding the scroll, but just not enough surface area for me. Next time I pin something I will be taking some pictures.
This is quite a jump to the finish, but he is done. Even I am "like wow." Very cool model.
A Beholder, Drow Queen and Duergar. I am really enjoying painting Dark Elves and Dwarves, definitely more to come in the future.
I knocked out large amounts of painting at at time and didn't stop to take much for pictures. After I did the eyes I thought I could have pointed them towards the cross, but I liked the eyes so much and that he looked like he was keeping one creature of the night at bay while making sure not to take his attention off of another. So I kept it.
This is with just the base colors finished. Lots of browns.