As I am waiting for some smaller items to come in the mail, I am thinking I should get working on this for a buddy of mine. Those wings are freakin me out....this thing is huge and he would like it painted to resemble Tiamat from D&D.
Ahhh......hidden within the box, unseen, are these two gigantic and most triumphant...rocks. Let the excitement begin with a week of painting rocks!
Almost a whole pot of paint to lay down the base color. Couple of nights worth of painting and worrying whether or not I should have bought a second pot of paint while I was at my LGS. Citadel paint also felt strangely sticky once dried on this Bones plastic, but then the stickiness went away with the next couple of steps.
A dark purple wash to bring out the shadows, crevasses and such.
Dry brushing came out really nice. I accidentally bought a citadel brand dry pigment of some kind from my LGS. I didn't even realize until I started shaking it up. Turns out to being one of those happy mistakes because it worked out perfect. No messy powder from regular paint, went on really nice. Got a little too much in one spot, but easily fixed after the pics were taken.
Finally I used the same brush with straight white paint and went along the edges to make it pop a bit more.
Sneak peek with some of the dragon bits on it.
Half the body based red. Took a while to coat and a lot of paint.
Here it is after a paint wash, then a red ink wash and finally some highlights. Only some of the highlights are finished at this time. I thought I took pictures after each wash, but they aren't on the camera. This is after several days and hours of painting and my mind tends break after what is feeling like assembly line painting at this point.
Can't wait till I get to one of the heads.
A lot of time put into this, but not a whole lot to show for it. At this picture point half the dragon body is still unpainted. My plan is to seal and be able to gently handle it while painting the other side (which at this time of posting I have already sealed, have most of the other half painted and started the highlighting.)
I have to keep telling myself this is one of the more massive pieces and it needs to look good, so the extra time is worth it.
Both sides finished! I know it doesn't look like much, but this hours and hours of painting. Next is the tail and most likely a leg. I want to get him glued down to those rocks ASAP!
Pretty much finished with the leg and tail. Very shiny at the moment, have to seal them both still.
Next will be at least one arm, possible two, depending on how hard it makes reaching the necks with a brush. Then the plan is to attach everything to those base rocks.
The eyes I plan on returning to later. I am leaning more towards having each head glowing with different color eyes. Other than that, everything seen here has been painted and attached. I used a small amount of P3 putty and loctite superglue for plastics. Loctite for plastics is the only glue so far that I have found bonds quickly to Bones material. The gorilla glue with the blue cap that I usually use on everything else, just sloshes around on the bones plastic and NEVER DRYS. I've come back to wet glue hours later, very frustrating.
Welcome to the "Gun Show." ...you see because he has really big arms that took me over a week to paint.
But his awesomeness level has increased significantly. So much more threatening with arms and claws.
I am starting to realize why this is taking so long, painting a dragon head is like painting an oversize mini. Nice chunk of the dragon is finished though.
I am holding off on attaching for the moment. The plastic glue I used worked really well, but was only usable about three times before it was solid as rock inside the tube. I have another, but I am going to wait until I have more to attach at once. I have also been putting off working some putty into the gaps, luckily they are almost small enough to leave alone. Bones plastic doesn't seem to leave giant gaps like metal sometimes does, everything fits nicely.
Black Dragon head finished!
Heads and necks all glued. Puttied some of the more noticeable gaps. The wings really complete the whole thing. It will be a while until they are finished. I am foreseeing December at the pace I am going.
I was sick with the flu, lost a lot time and in general underestimated the time it would take to complete a wing.
Filled in the gaps with greenstuff and painted.
Since this photo was taken, I've finished the other wing and stained the base. I am holding off attaching the wings until I have Ma'al's base completed. I have to pick up some kind of varnish before I can start adding more rubble.
Best part is that all the difficult stuff is over and I have plenty of time to base before bringing over a friends house in February. Which also means I can start hitting some other models.
I stained the base and sealed it. Some skill I still retain all the way from middle school shop class.
Started working on the base. Lots of putty. Was almost tempted to make it into boiling blood.